A new school year means health check-ups and exams. Most parents and college students prioritize the scramble for backpacks, pencils, and school-mandated primary physician appointments over oral care. Don’t let yours or your child’s dental health get stuck at the bottom of your back to school checklist. There are lots of reasons to kick off the school year with a visit to your local Cary Family Dentist.
Brush Up on Dental Math: Student Oral Health Statistics
Among children aged five to 11, nearly one out of five have a cavity or several, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). That number drops to one out of seven for teens aged 12 to 19. Establishing good brushing and flossing habits can easily prevent tooth decay and starts with a visit to your dentist. Do it before school starts to prevent disruptive mid-year emergency dental visits and missed school days.
According to the American Journal of Public Health, kids and teens with poor oral health are almost three times more likely to miss school than other students. The most frequent cause of those absences is tooth pain, and accumulated absences then contribute to poor academic performance. A higher grade point average isn’t the only benefit to a back to school checkup at your dental office.
Benefits of Before-School Oral Checkups with Your Dentist
Keeping up with oral health can prevent a myriad of long-term health consequences and a lot of pain. The longer a problem is ignored, the higher the chances of eventually contracting an oral disease or developing a complication. Therefore, it’s important to make an appointment with your dentist prior to the start of the school year so that dental issues don’t go undetected.
Such undetected issues can result in halitosis (bad breath), cavities, gum disease, decayed teeth, or even losing teeth. A check-up allows the dentist to examine gums, remove plaque and tartar, whiten your teeth, and reinforce good hygiene.
But it goes beyond the physical. Poor oral care resulting in visible health conditions can sabotage self-esteem and lead to reduced social interactions, stress, anxiety, and depression. Of course, there’s also the monetary cost of long term dental maladies like gum disease and tooth decay. Prevention is cheaper than treatment!
Tips for Successful Cary Dental Office Checkups
- The back-to-school season is among the busiest times of the year for Cary dental offices, so make sure to grab an appointment for you or your child as soon as possible.
- Dental is at the bottom of most Americans’ health care list. Set a reminder in your phone as a semiannual event or record it in your calendar to keep it from slipping through the cracks.
- Your family dentist should inspect your teeth and gums, and remove plaque and tartar. Ask questions if he or she seems to skip a step.
- If you’re on a budget, ask around for low-cost options. Putting off a dental checkup may seem like a good way to save money at the time, but it’ll cost you in the long run when expensive treatments are needed for the disease.
- Make a routine out of brushing and flossing. Dentists recommend spending two minutes on tooth brushing, but if you’re short on patience, try turning on a two-minute video or song to make it a more enjoyable experience you’ll be willing to repeat. Returning to the dentist’s office with pearly white teeth will enhance that experience too.
- Children often struggle with dental checkups. However, their resistance is no excuse to let oral health slide. Try to make the experience fun and absolutely don’t set kids up to expect pain when they ask.
Your Back to School Family Dental Office Is Ready to Take Your Appointment
Are you getting ready to head back to school? Don’t wait to make your or your child’s dentist appointment! Contact Beavers Dentistry today to reserve your spot and secure your guaranteed long term dental health.