A bright, healthy smile is one of the best ways to make a lasting impression. According to the American Academy of Periodontology, 50% of people say that a smile is the feature they notice first about another person.
Keep your pearly whites healthy all summer long by following these dental tips!
Tips for Healthy, White Teeth
- Brush Your Teeth After Each Meal. Proper oral hygiene is important in maintaining healthy, white teeth and that means brushing after every meal, or at least twice a day. Make sure you’re using a soft-bristled toothbrush, as anything more can damage the enamel and gums.
- Eat a Teeth-Healthy Diet. What you eat affects your teeth, especially when the foods are sugary and highly acidic. By eating teeth-healthy foods, you’re protecting the enamel and preventing bacteria from forming and spreading throughout the mouth. Examples of teeth-healthy foods include: chicken, cheese, nuts, milk, fruits and vegetables. (It’s also best to limit beverages that can stain teeth, such as coffee, soda and red wine)
- Floss! Flossing is a very important aspect of proper oral hygiene. Regular flossing can decrease cavities, prevent bad breath, and keep teeth pearly white!
- Visit Your Dentist Every 6 Months. Regular dental check-ups are one of the easiest ways to maintain healthy, white teeth. Your dentist will be able to clean your teeth more thoroughly than your toothbrush, all while checking for signs of cavities, gingivitis, and plaque buildup.
- Quit Smoking. Not only is smoking bad for your heart and lungs, but it’s also bad for your teeth, gums and mouth. Smoking causes bad breath, tooth discoloration, increased plaque and tartar build up, gum disease, and more. Even smokeless tobacco can wear down your teeth and gums, exposing the roots of your teeth and increasing the risk of tooth decay.
Contact Our Cary Family Dentistry